Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Solgurt .... Friend or Foe

2012 is a year that I have declared "Kat's going to lead a healthier life".   Recently I have been introduced to a lovely little diner in Toronto called " Sadie's " (Queen and Bathurst's) ... and there I began my quest of  "Can Kat become a vegetarian ".    Their damn menu made it look so easy.

Now traditionally I jump into things feet first without testing the water, I rapidly get bored, dry off and find something new to tweak my interest, but this quest is different.    This is about getting physically and mentally healthier - not just for my daughter, but for myself.   I truly believe that my self esteem will increase two fold if I feel better physically and mentally.    So the quest in reality is eating better, moving more and generally attempting to cut down stress.    This is the start of my 21 day challenge of yoga, meditation and incorporating more vegetarian meals into my life.   Yah Thanks Michele .. not sure if this will rebuild a friendship .. or destroy it.  Apparently the 21 day goal will be long enough to make positive life changes.



So over the next few weeks, I will be documenting my triumphs and failures over this challenge.    Which brings me to Solgurt.  Yah.   First why must I give up dairy? Does it hurt an animal to be milked?  Maybe I will become a partial vegetarian and still eat animal products if it comes to my dinner table unharmed.   

Day One A.M was a tad crazy.  Rushing off to get the kid to school and myself to the office, and somehow I managed to forget to eat breakfast (not a good start of this getting healthy thing) and I forgot to bring a lunch.   Quick stop into Planet Organic that will solve the situation.   As I puttered through the aisles of what I could eat I found myself gravitating to the dairy and non dairy frig.   Solgurt, okay the packaging looks nice, grab a couple of banana's and I am good to go.    Apparently by my facebook status update that this was a awesome breakfast to have on my quest, but I was missing my protein and should have added six almonds.   Yes six, not seven, not eight but six.  Mental note, ask Sam " why freakin' six ".   Excited about my purchase I hold off till I get to the office.  I run into the office excited to show of my new purchase of " solgurt ".   A group of very bored looking people stood around me as I ripped off the lid to dive into my new healthy life style choice .. I swear I could hear them chanting " go Kat go .. go Kat go ".. and .. EWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE  Its a grey looking substance that looks like something my daughter has mixed multiple paint brushes in.  Okay check expiry date .. its okay .. one person looks at me and says .. try it Kat.   If you don't try it we will find someone that will.  I suddenly felt like I was back in the '70's with the cereal commercial of " get Mikey to try it, he will try anything "  Unfortunately there are no Mikey's in my office.   So I said, " I've made it this far " (3 hours into the quest).  Take my spoon, dip it into the solgurt, close my eyes and put it into my mouth.    Yah, I'm still eating dairy at this time.   My body is not completely ready to get rid of all dairy products. 

No comments:

Post a Comment